Crochet Marvel characters

Crochet Marvel characters
Crochet Marvel characters

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Granny square arm warmers and a crochet apple pendant necklace


  Today was a snow day here in Charlottetown.  I usually find getting things done pretty difficult when my five year old is running around the house, but I did manage to finish a few things! :)

  Yesterday I began crocheting granny square arm warmers. Here's a great You Tube video for creating a traditional granny square by Yolanda Soto Lopez, if you're new at crochet this really helps!

I used a 4.25mm hook and Bernat Satin yarn

  So what I did was create 4 normal granny squares(3 rounds each) per arm warmer.


I then single crocheted around the granny square with 3 single crochets in each corner. I was playing around with the pattern, I think the next time I may cut out the single crochets.

In the next row I double crocheted in each stitch other than the corners. For the corners which have 3 single crochets in them, I put 2 double crochets in the first of the 3 single crochets-ch 2- skip middle corner stitch-2 double crochet in the 3rd corner stitch.

It made a pretty cute square.

I then slip stitched the pieces together in a large four piece square (I slip stitches them together from the back of the pieces). On the second arm warmer I decided to whip stitch the pieces together, it worked a lot better and now I know to used that way to join granny squares!
 
 
I then folded the piece in half, with the good side on the inside to slip stitch(or whip stitch) together to make the arm warmer tube.
Voilà, c'est fini! Now make another and you're done!

The second project I worked on today was a small crochet apple pendant necklace.

I used craft thread, and a 3.25mm hook(I don't work with this small a hook often!)
Here's the pattern:

Apple

Magic ring(6st)

2 single crochet in every st(12st)

single crochet for 5 rows

stuff with a bit of Poly-fil

single crochet 2 together for the row(row of decreases)

sew closed, run yarn through the center of the apple, out, and back up to the top, sew tail in

Leaf

ch 5,

slip stitch in the second chain from the hook

single crochet in the next st, half double crochet in the next, 3 double crochet in the last,

continue onto the other side of the leaf

half double crochet in the next stitch, single crochet in the next, slip stitch in the next

run the yarn through the 5th chain of the original ch 5, and through the back of the leaf to the end

sew onto apple

Stem

Make a magic ring with only 3 stitches

single crochet for 2 rows

sew onto apple


 
I then attached a split ring and put it on a chain!



No comments:

Post a Comment