Crochet Marvel characters

Crochet Marvel characters
Crochet Marvel characters

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home

    Art is the only way to run away without leaving home- Twyla Tharp
   A lot of things have been on my mind lately. I'm currently looking for a job, there aren't many paying more than minimum wage here in Prince Edward Island. It makes me angry because, yes a minimum wage(10$/hr here in Charlottetown) job is enough to support one person, but I need to support myself and my 5 year old son.

   It's frustrating when the cost of living in Charlottetown PE(Canada) is not much lower than in Alberta, but people working at Tim Horton or any other fast food place in Alberta get paid at least 15$/hr and here they get 10 and they expect us to survive on that.

   I've been on Employment insurance since May 2013, I checked every job post I could find at least 3 times a day. I've applied to jobs, but have only had one interview with no success. My EI ends in a week and I'm so frustrated.

   Most of my experience is with the Government, entering information, calling Veterans, dealing with Power of Attorney's, and doing receptionist work as well. But nothing seems to matter, and the longer I go without work the harder it is to find a job.

   It's unfortunate that all my job experience is sitting at a computer all day because art is my true love, when I draw, when I paint, when I create something with my hands, I feel truly ALIVE. When I look at art a feeling overcomes me, I'm filled with wonder and joy, and I never want to lose that feeling. But stress has overcome me these past few weeks, I get so anxious I can hardly breathe.

   I've been working on opening an Etsy shop, but when I think about it I freeze. Questions like "Will anyone want to buy my things?" "Are the product pictures good enough?" "Will it be enough?" barrage my mind and I remain frozen staring at my computer screen.

  I'm trying to relax now, trying not to think about it all too much, but still of course looking for work. I've got so many ideas running through my mind, I can see the canvas, the yarn and hook, I can see the end product, I just need to  bring them to reality.

  Below are some picture of crochet projects I've worked on lately, and that will hopefully show up on Etsy soon.












  

No comments:

Post a Comment